Monday, June 8, 2009

A new week of meals. I want to thank you who sent me recipes on the blog and personally to me. I will be adding them to my meal list when I meal plan again. I look forward to trying them.


Monday: Leftover Zesty Mexican Chicken
(Recipe below)
Tuesday: Pork Chops ( sandwich or Mon. leftover for me)
Mac. and cheese
Veg.

Wednesday:Pasta With Veg. (add chicken)
Garlic Bread

Thursday: Leftovers

Friday: Tuna Casserole
Mixed veg.

Sat. night & Sunday Lunch: Chicken and gravy
Black-eyed peas and rice
Roasted green beans

Zesty Mexican Chicken:
Ingredients:
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (14 oz.) of diced tomatoes
1 large onion
1 med. green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs. lime juice
1 tbsp. hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 cups cooked rice

-Place chicken in a slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
-In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, onion,green pepper, garlic,lime juice, salt, pepper, and pepper sauce.
-Pour over chicken.
-Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hrs. until chicken is done.
-Serve with rice.

I did not follow this recipe as is. What I did different is...... I combined all onion, green pepper and garlic and cooked them in olive oil until they were tender ( original recipe these would still be crispy and we don't like 1/2 raw onions). When this was finished, I added the tomatoes, salt, pepper, and lime juice. Stirred. Finally, I added shredded chicken I already had on hand. We are not fans of hot sauce so I omitted this.
We eat brown rice which takes 45 min. to cook so I began cooking the rice before I started the sauce.

My opinion on this new recipe was it was "Fair". AJ liked it so I will make it again but probably not for a few months.

Have a nice week!

No comments: